1. Leather Jacket – “Grease” (1978): The leather jacket worn by John Travolta’s character, Danny Zuko, in the movie musical “Grease” became synonymous with cool rebellion and the 1950s greaser subculture. This jacket remains an enduring symbol of youthful rebellion and nostalgia.
2. Red Jacket – “Michael Jackson’s Thriller” (1982): Michael Jackson’s red leather jacket, worn in the iconic music video for “Thriller,” is an instantly recognizable symbol of the King of Pop’s style and influence on music and fashion.
3. Bomber Jacket – “Top Gun” (1986): Tom Cruise’s character, Maverick, in “Top Gun,” popularized the bomber jacket as a symbol of the maverick spirit and fearless attitude of fighter pilots.
4. Trench Coat – “The Matrix” (1999): Neo’s iconic black trench coat in “The Matrix” became a symbol of the film’s cyberpunk aesthetic and futuristic coolness.
5. Letterman Jacket – “High School Musical” (2006): The letterman jackets in the “High School Musical” series captured the spirit of American high school culture and showcased the camaraderie among the characters.
6. Denim Jacket – “Stranger Things” (2016–present): The denim jacket worn by Eleven in “Stranger Things” is a key element of her distinctive style and serves as a symbol of her unique abilities.
7. Wakanda Jacket – “Black Panther” (2018): T’Challa’s ceremonial jacket in “Black Panther” was adorned with intricate patterns that pay homage to African heritage and futuristic design, contributing to the film’s distinctive visual style.
8. Motorcycle Jacket – “A Star Is Born” (2018): In “A Star Is Born,” Lady Gaga’s character, Ally, dons a studded motorcycle jacket that reflects her evolving image as she navigates the music industry.
9. Space Jacket – “The Mandalorian” (2019–present): Din Djarin’s Mandalorian armor, including his signature beskar space jacket, has become an iconic part of the “Star Wars” universe.
10. Bomber Jacket – “Euphoria” (2019–present): The character Rue, played by Zendaya, wears a distinct red bomber jacket in “Euphoria,” symbolizing her complex personality and struggles.
Jackets in pop culture have the power to define characters, eras, and attitudes. They can become symbolic representations that transcend the screen and stage, influencing fashion trends and inspiring generations of fans.